A website can help your law firm attract new clients and engage with existing ones. But if your website isn’t secure, you—and your website users—could be exposed to potentially serious consequences.
Recent research by Google revealed millions of stolen credentials available for sale on digital black markets. This data is often bought and used for identity theft or financial gain, and its sale is particularly lucrative for hackers who exploit unsecure websites for sensitive information, including credit card details and personal credentials like names, email addresses and passwords.
Why should law firms care about website security?
- Your website is your firm’s digital storefront. It’s a potential client’s first impression of you and your firm.
If website visitors don’t feel secure and confident using your website, they’ll leave and might not come back, which means your website won’t be giving you the return on investment it should be.
- You don’t want the personal data of potential clients, and sensitive legal information of existing clients, stolen through your website. One security breach on your website could permanently damage your firm’s reputation, not to mention the serious impact it would have on your website users.
- Creating a safe website is part of providing excellent client service. With more law firm websites offering client convenience tools like online appointment booking, payment portals and document management, it’s more important than ever to ensure your website users can safely input their data and engage with your firm online. Otherwise, your clients will get a dramatically reduced service, and you won’t get the time and cost savings benefits of your website.
Some simple steps you can take to secure your website
- Get SSL secured, so that all data passed through your website is encrypted. The visual indicator in the address bar is also reassuring for website visitors. For more information on what SSL security is, and why you need it, read our short article.
- Use strong passwords for your server and website’s admin area (no birthdays or spouse or children names!). Encourage your website users to do the same with their accounts. Change passwords regularly, and don’t use the same passwords for different logins.
- Keep any software you’re running on your website updated. A lot of software is open-source, which means the code is available to anyone—including hackers looking for vulnerabilities.
- Back-up your website frequently, just in case you lose any data.
These are just a few simple ways you can secure your website from hackers. But the best security is that offered by professionals like Zaliet, who can monitor your website 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
How secure is Zaliet?
Zaliet creates websites specifically for law firms, so we understand their unique security challenges. Zaliet’s website infrastructure is maintained by industry leading cloud-platform provider, Amazon Web Services (AWS), in multiple unmarked facilities within the Sydney, Ireland and North Virginia regions. AWS has achieved a substantial amount of certification and compliance in industry standards, which recognise best practices in Information Security.
In addition to that, Zaliet performs:
- Daily secure backups, so our clients don’t have to worry about losing their data;
- Routine critical updates that resolve vulnerabilities in website files; and,
- Individual site monitoring to ensure no website downtime. In the past 12 months, Zaliet’s website uptime has been 99.9%.